Company formation

When it comes to forming a trucking company there are a lot of questions that come up.
Don’t worry, we’re here to help answer those questions. We will help you by filing the paperwork to form your business entity.

Getting operating authority

Trucking authority is one of the first things you’ll need. Our team of transportation experts will file the applications for you and guide you every step of the way. Learn more about getting motor carrier operating authority.

Cost of starting a trucking company

There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding the costs of starting a trucking company. The total costs of starting a trucking company can vary and are based on your business plan. We can help guide you through the process and give you an idea of how much your costs will be to start your trucking company. Our services are free of charge.* Contact us to learn more about how much it will cost to start a trucking company.

Additional resources

We are here with you every step of the way and can provide helpful resources to help you find the best equipment, insurance, best deal on fuel cards, trucking software, factoring, financing and more. Learn more about our additional resources.

Start Your trucking business

What to expect

A success story

A guide to running your company during the first year

In this white paper, we will outline the policies and procedures you need to have in place, so you can pass your safety audit and get your permanent authority.

Topics covered include:

  • Insurance
  • Alcohol and Drug Testing Program
  • Taxes
  • IFTA
  • CSA Scores
  • Driver Qualification File (DQF)
  • Hours of Service (HOS)
  • Safety Audit

Trucking authority

What is trucking authority?

Like many words in the trucking industry, motor carrier operating authority is used interchangeably with many other terms like; trucking authority, MC authority, DOT authority, MC Number, and USDOT Number. Most of the time, these terms are referring to the same thing.

So, what is operating authority? Operating authority is required for most carriers who transport passengers or freight in interstate commerce. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) is the government agency that regulates the trucking industry and grants active operating authority by issuing Motor Carrier (MC) and USDOT Numbers. MC and USDOT Numbers serve as unique identifiers for your trucking company and help the FMCSA conduct inspections, monitor your safety scores, maintain compliance reviews, and more.

Types of operating authority

Unfortunately, obtaining active operating authority is not very simple. In the Unified Registration System, where you apply for your MC and DOT Numbers, there are several different types of operating authority, and if you apply for the wrong one by mistake no refunds are given. It isn’t easy to fix those mistakes. The three main types of operating authority are motor carrier, broker, and freight forwarder authority. Depending on your type of operation or the cargo you carry you might need to have multiple operating authorities.

How to get active authority

The process of applying for authority from the FMCSA is not straightforward and depends on whether you’ve applied before. Most applicants will register with the Unified Registration System (URS) online to obtain operating authority.

FMCSA insurance requirements

We’re here with you every step of the way, we’re able to provide helpful resource options to help you find trucking equipment to buy or finance, insurance, and more.

As you can see, getting trucking authority on your own isn’t always as easy as just submitting an application for an MC number or DOT Number. Our ITA Career Services Startup Program experts know exactly what needs to be done and can simplify the process for you!